Built in the XIIth century upon the tip of a peak in a strategic position over the Scuropasso valley, inaugurated in 1212, in the Middle Ages the Castello di Cigognola was defensive and controlled the traffic along the neighbouring Via Emilia. When feudalism ended, it became a prestigious Renaissance court, a residence of the most prestigious noble families. At the beginning of the 18th century it was transformed into an important centre for grape growing and wine promotion. At the same time, the proprietor, Carlo Arnaboldi, on the remains of the ancient manor, built one of the most surprising neo Gothic creations with Ghibelline crenellations, the tower, the decorations on the gates, the coats of arms. At the beginning of the 19th century, the rooms were enriched with Déco furnishings. The Castello was recently restored by the current proprietors Gian Marco and Letizia Moratti.
The castle had an intense cultural life. At Mimmina Brichetto Arnaboldi’s literary salon, one could meet
personages of the calibre of Croce, Montale, Quasimodo and Bacchelli.
The Castello di Cigognola shares its’ position along the 45th parallel with Piedmont and Bordeaux, in the very best territorial zone for vineries. Thirty three hectares of vines, over hill land standing at some 400 metres above sea level, in steeply sloping sections, medium paste soil tending to clay, with little presence of structure. Diverse exposures enable sunlight to bring the grapes to optimal ripening. The microclimate is exceptional: mild temperatures with low precipitation, non particularly rigid winters, great day to night temperature ranges, a high level of illumination, the right humidity and a mild breeze present throughout the year which absolves an important protective function.
Knowledge of the terroir is the most important starting point. Its’ study enables the identification of the vines which will best express the character and personality of a land and its’ fruits.